Sunday, June 21, 2026

This & That-Found Fabrics and Blue Jean Quilt

   Good evening,

  Hoping those of you that celebrated Father's Day enjoyed a good day today.  I can relate to some of the things my Mother had said (years ago now) that as we get older we lose special family and friends especially our parents.

 We both have lost our parents years ago now, so I do think of them but no longer celebrate the day.

  Last night I decided to work on my slow mail cards to celebrate our nation's 250th birthday.  My craft room is on the side of the house close to one of our neighbors that seemed to have lots of family visiting for several days now. They partied loudly til after 11 pm including very loud fireworks that just make those loud booms nothing else. Also not like them-very loud music as well.  So turned out to be a good day for that project. Ha Ha.  We have a couple neighbors that do not fire off pretty fireworks only those that are loud  that go boom-that's it  don't like those at all  Oh well there will be total craziness here at the lake on the July 4th weekend for sure.  I do enjoy fireworks just not those.

  I didn't sleep well last night at all-but ended up getting lots accomplished today-lots of laundry caught up especially.

 This afternoon, I decided to go through some books that I had bought but never got around to reading. I saved out some of those and started boxing up the rest to take to the animal shelter's resale shop this week.  I also discovered a big tub under a cabinet in my craft room-opening it up-Wow big surprise-full of quilting fabrics and at least 90% of it is more civil war era reproduction prints.  I knew that I had collected those over a few years planning to make a quilt or two-I may just make a simple quilt design with these-something I would enjoy as I love this period of fabrics-very earthy.

 The reproduction fabrics are mostly upper left and in the middle-there is a lot of yardage here


  I also took a photo of my huge patriotic rag quilt 

     Larry never liked this one as it is Very heavy. There is batting  inside each square and the backing squares are flannel.  I also had hand embroidered some of these squares as well, the stars are more jean material sewn on.  This ended up being huge around a king I think-I have it draped over the back of the couch to enjoy.  I t was quite the challenge at the time to get this heaviness into the sewing machine.



   We did get a bunch of rain during the morning hours but no storms thankfully.  I am off to refill the nectar feeders. We still have orioles here the one pair of hummingbirds and several other birds that are enjoying the nectar as well.

  Oh and I wanted to share a jam I found that is soooo delicious. 

     I am not a jam or jelly person at all, but I look for nicer preserves-jams for Larry as he likes it in his Greek yogurt or with peanut butter sandwiches on cinnamon raison toast.  When I went shopping last week at the family grocery store I found this Jam. This is soooo delicious and Not sweet like most are. I will be buying more for sure.

Found this photo on Amazon   




Happy new week

24 comments:

  1. I love your quilt and the stash of fabrics too. A letter is coming to you-I promise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Debra, no worries about that -hugs I am mailing out 4th of July cards this week

      Delete
  2. I've never had a bad condiment from Stonewall Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I found this brand I don't even like jams but this is just amazing

      Delete
  3. "This is such a tender and thoughtful post—thank you for sharing it. 💙 I love how you weave together the sweetness of fabric finds and the quiet reflection of remembering loved ones. There's something so comforting about working with your hands (especially on a beautiful blue jean quilt!) while your heart holds space for those who came before. Sending you a gentle hug—and admiration for how gracefully you carry both the creativity and the memories. And honestly? Found fabrics + nostalgia + quilting = the coziest kind of soul-care. Keep creating, friend. 🧵😌"
    https://nanajee.com/2025/11/19/discover-best-hotels-in-las-vegas/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening thank you much for visiting and your kind words

      Delete
  4. Stonewall Kitchen makes really tasty jams and other foods. They're located not far from me over in Maine. We have a store that sells their products near a local grocery store. Your patriotic quilt looks lovely' it some great stars. I suppose it's good in the winter. You have some great fabrics too. I hope now that the weekend is over the neighbors will quiet down a bit. Happy new week to you. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, that is awesome that you have Stonewall Kitchen near you-I am so impressed with this jam. I need to look online for their other products.
      I really enjoyed making this quilt I always liked that it is heavy during cold weather. Looks nice for the 4th which I never thought of displaying it before.
      That was quite unusual for the neighbors-they are both recently retired and I think with their grandchildren getting older now they are enjoying the lake more. Happy new week for you as well hugs

      Delete
  5. Your quilt is gorgeous and so very patriotic. Too bad it is heavy where Larry does not like it. Am sure the fireworks and boomers will be heavy next week. The yearly festival comes to town and we do plan on getting some carnival food, bit not sure yet if we will watch the fireworks. I love jam. Usually purchase Frankenmuth label since it is made in Michigan. Love all of your fabrics. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice
      I always have loved fireworks but neither of us liked the crowds. Here at the lake usually the people across from me shoot off lots of fireworks so I can watch it out our wall of windows. it will be crazy this year for sure.
      I will check out that jam online. I love local foods

      Delete
  6. Hi Kathy -- It's nice to see your new blog. You are doing some wonderfully creative things. Ugh. I reallyl hate fireworks -- not so much the big organized ones but those that individuals shoot off, with reckless care for neighbors, pets or the clock! Stonewall makes terrific products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good afternoon Jeanie, thank you for dropping by It was a struggle to get new block to work, so I just didn't do anything for a few weeks. so far so good. I agree about the clock and fireworks on the 4th here we have a neighbor close by that only shoots off those super loud ones and this year I am sure he will to til early morning hours.
      I am glad I discovered Stonewall

      Delete
  7. We expect that there will be a lot of fireworks displays going off for the holiday and luckily we can see them either from our apartment or by going to the newly renovated riverside. That large guilt looks amazing, even if it is too heavy for Larry's preference. Glad you have it draped over the couch where you can at least see it to enjoy. And, yes, we also know Stonewall Kitchens products and have been to the store that Erika mentioned in her comment. We have also seen them in select grocery stores here, like Hannaford's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be quite the view of fireworks from your apartment windows and you don't have to deal with crowds-that's the best part for me. Love that you can buy the Stonewall products nearby I just discovered them. Enjoy the rest of your week

      Delete
  8. Oh Kathy I am so glad you are back out here with your new blog. It is such a joy to see what you are into and adore your patriotic quilt. What an achievement. Also your fabric looks lovely...hope you do a quilt using those pieces. Jam sounds delicious...do you eat it on something gluten free. Don't know if you have tried rice cakes...they are good with peanut butter and jelly. Nice treat if you cannot have bread. Take care friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, me as well-I really missed my blog-very little interaction with friends on Instagram I do plan on making a quilt or two out of the civil war reproduction fabrics I have the batting just need backings. I set up an Inspirational slow stitch scroll with these fabrics as well-I did a post about that here.
      I am in love with jam I do add it to my morning gluten free oatmeal sometimes, I like it too with peanut butter on rice cakes or gf bread. Hugs back

      Delete
    2. in love with this jam-low sugar and love the wild berries

      Delete
  9. The patch work looks wonderful, Kathy. Really cool. Love that you have a sewing area. It's so nice to have a space where we can make stuff. I'm catching up on laundry now as well. Then at some point I have new fabric I'd like to wash. Berry jam is something I enjoy. Berries in general I enjoy. Wishing you a fun rest of your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Berries are my favorite fruit too-and this brand has very little sugar so loving that. I never washed my quilt fabrics I am pretty sure my Mom always washed hers I love have my own areas this house s smaller than I wanted but we each have our own extra room space-and I kinda took over the extra toom too-haha

      Delete
    2. Love the less sugar. Very, very cool.

      Delete
  10. I found you ! late LATE to the party... I love your blue jean quilt.. .i have blue jean pockets saved... tons of them over the years ... always planning to make a quilt.. its one of those 'someday' projects if you know what i mean.. Sewing is not really my thing but i want to do it.. Our Father's Day was kind of low key... Daughter thought it was Father's Day a week early so we kinda celebrated then..lol :) Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. The jean pockets I think would be a challenge to sew into a quilt and would be really heavy too I have seen people making little purses out of them for kids or an accent for something. when I was making a lot of jeans quilts-I would take the top of the pocket off and it would be a darker color underneath-like a siloute of the pocket. I also cut the bottoms of the hems and the waistbands and took the stitches out for a pretty stripped effect. I made a lot of quilts for gifts in the past

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting

Rain & Catch Up

 Isn't rain and cooler weather just the best after days of near 100 F with high humidity?    I did get a big food shopping trip accompli...