Good evening,
Super humid today and the pollen was very high here as well, so didn't attempt the much needed grass cutting. This is always on my mind as a major chore to do-we have two large lots on the lake and it is not an easy job being on a hill. We are supposed to get lots of rain so will see what happens. It is too expensive to hire someone to cut and our yard is a real mess as well.
Last evening I discovered honey bees on all of my nectar feeders-Such a pain this is-I am thinking the family farm up on the hill from me must have gotten bees-or the honey bees flew in from somewhere else and found my nectar. So far the birds are still mostly getting some nectar.
I decided to begin to set up my second slow stitch meditative scroll. I looked in my fabric stash and grabbed a few more homespun fabrics-and I dug out the big tub I shared to see what was in there.
This brought back memoires of early years in my retirement. Ended up not being more civil war reproduction fabrics but I did find similar choices, along with reds and blues and even a couple of patriotic fat quarters. I even found some nice yardage that I forgot about and some pretty batiks
I did order off of Etsy a patriotic jelly roll that were to be on the vintage looking side-I should have sent those back before I got into them-- not real happy with those fabrics-but I can use some of them. The rest I will donate to the animal shelter's thrift shop. I did fill up a couple boxes of books to donate too-
Here is the start of the layout (click to enlarge)
I use quilters curved safety pins to keep fabrics in place. On You Tube many are doing an invisible baste instead of pins. The take a very small stitch on top and large one underneath to secure everything without pins. Then they also leave the stitches in place. I do not mind these pins all that much but the stitches would probably hold the fabric smoother. I have not had issues with the pins on the bags I am using. So pins it is haha
Have you been watching the soccer world cup? I know nothing about soccer but have been finding the games exciting and spectators very patriotic-so am enjoying learning about the game.
It looks from the weather map that many of us will be getting rainstorms. We always can use rain here.
Happy mid-week
.jpg)
Overcast here as I type this morning. Not too bad though out. Have you ever used the clips for sewing? I started using them and love them. So pretty too. Though I also use pins because I find some areas, pins just work. We have a thrift store that we donate too. Goes the pound. Love that.
ReplyDeleteGood morning, no I am not familiar with clips I have some safety pins that I like better than these that are coiless on the bottom of pin and are sharper-but those are pinning other things. this box is not as sharp as those.
DeleteI think but not sure that they're called quilting clips. Fabric clips. I'm not all the way sure. Very cool on the safety pins. Wishing you a fun week. Cheers, Ivy.
Deletethank you
DeleteWell the bees need the nectar too. When I put out some jelly for the Baltimore orioles earlier in the spring the bees liked it also, so maybe a dish of jelly out? Just thinking off the top of my head. And your quilt is looking great so far. I love that its not really a set quilt block pattern. Hope you don't get too much rain. hugs-Erika
ReplyDeleteI agree and actually starting yesterday evening their are not as many bees now-so all the birds can still get to the nectar. this is the first time I have ever had orioles stay to raise their families I am so enjoying them this year.
Deletethanks I am enjoying gathering fabrics and setting them in place-this will be a second slow stitch meditation scroll project like the civil war fabrics is-just running stitches across the fabrics and to just enjoy the project. I found one more 9 inch tall vintage wooden spool for this one.
With all the rain Missouri has had, it seems like it would be a challenge to keep the grass cut this year.
ReplyDeleteIt is and I have two large lots that are on fairly steep hills to mow I tried out my new voxx battery lawn mower and works great
DeleteLoving your patriotic fabric choices. I do not watch soccer. It is going to be dreadfully humid next week here and am not going to love it. UGH Janice
ReplyDeleteThank you I am enjoying these fabrics too-we are very humid today rain supposed to come in tonight and stick around so been out working on the grass this morning trying out my new voxx battery mower works good
DeleteGiven the status of bees these days, they need the nectar as well. Pity you can't feed them all and at least the birds are getting it too. It just might mean getting more nectar. I haven't seen any of the World Cup.
ReplyDeleteThe games are on are the regular fox channel and usa plays tonight. I have less bees now so the birds can get the nectar easier I have just one pair of humming birds but I am seeing the first little ones at the feeders now. I have sooo enjoyed the orioles nesting here The feeders are outside my kitchen window
DeleteKathy it looks like your quilt is off to a grand start. Glad you are getting rain...we are too. So happy since this time last year we were in the midst of a drought. Even so our soil (being shale) dries out way too fast. Thus far the garden and flowers are looking good. Praying there will be lots of things to freeze and can this year. Well take care and stay safe if you are mowing. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteGood morning Debbie, it is nice to actually rain here as usually the summer months we do not get much. not getting as much as they predicted but rain is still in the forecast for a few days. We have a sandy soil here in the ozarks-so same the rain goes right through fast. I so miss not having a working garden for food before moving to the lake I have put up food every season since the my 30's quite an adjustment smiles
DeleteSo kind of you to feed the kritters, even if you don't intend to feed the bees! I used regular safety pins when I made my first quilt last summer. It was rather "unique" to say the least... But I can see how those pins would be very helpful.
ReplyDeleteI just recently started using safety pins for the slow stitch bags and they work nice I prefer the coiless pins
DeleteWho else eats the nectar (apart from the bees). Here people put out seed balls for he birds. But not nectar. But I'm sure the bees will appreciate it as that is what they eat.
ReplyDeleteAs I wrote in my blog, I'm not into football (soccer) either but saw glimpses of it out of the corner of my eyes when I was at the restaurant with my friends. The Netherlands were playing.
I've never done any quilting and don't kniw of anyone who does. I'd love to learn to make one as it gets very cold here in winter.
Happy Friday,
Lisca
Hi Lisca, I put the nectar out for the hummingbirds but my repeat visitors are also woodpeckers, orioles, and some of the larger finches. so it has been very entertaining this year. the bees need nectar too and there are not as many now so the birds can get the nectar easier the recipe is 4 cups water to 1 cup of regular white sugar.
DeleteI made a ;lot of quilts in the past that used large pieces and went together pretty fast. you then layer it with a quilt batting in the middle and a cotton backing. The name of that pattern is turning 20-the original pattern can still find it online.
I have hand stitched quilts but that can take a lot of time so I have tied most of mine with numerous embroidery thread strands. If you use knitting type yarn those do not hold up well after several washings.
The raggy quilt makes into a fun cozy quilt and easy to do but you need a sewing machine-can find instructions online.
in questions just ask hugs Happy Friday and weekend
Hi Kathy, I love your patriotic scroll, dear friend. The good thing about feeding bees is that it would be just sugar and water....which also feeds hummingbirds, and it isn't expensive as compared to the various seeds out there for birds and other critters.
ReplyDeleteI just read your response to the comment above, that the nectar feeds other birds as well! Fantastic!
Good afternoon Linda, I was finally able to attract one pair of hummingbirds so they usually will return back to the same location and bring the youngsters with them. I am so thrilled that the orioles decided to stay here and nest so we have many of those along with other birds. we have a major squirrel problem so it is difficult to put seed out as those critters eat it all we also have too many chipmunks as well here.
DeleteWe still have the bees which I don't mind as long as they don't totally take over all of the feeders. The first couple of days the birds could not get to the nectar-now there are just a few bees so everyone can enjoy the nectar-smiles
Great blog
ReplyDeletethanks
DeleteThe fabrics look wonderful, Kathy, and sure they would look great on one of your bags. No, we do nit watch soccer or any other sports games. We will also be getting hot weather by this coming mid-week and beyond, but have no travel holiday plans. We will watch local fireworks displays either from our apt windows or in the new park.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I am enjoying this project. I need more assortment of fabrics for this one so went shopping on Etsy online-the lake home is much more rural for shopping here then at the woods house.
DeleteI even found a quilt fabric with 1776-2026 on it so that will be perfect for this one.
We are in the 90's here with high humidity and some rain thrown in so not getting more grass cut. As I write this one of our neighbors is shooting off fireworks-I can't see them just hear them. It will total caziness here for the 4th I love it that I can stay indoors and watch a lot of fireworks over the lake. Have a good week-hugs
Kathy ... what fabric should i look for , for the backing of the scroll... ? What should i ask for at the fabric store? Yours looks great.. Hot here and humid... any rain you hear of in TX is going around us.. we are so dry we have big cracks in the ground... but ofcourse the hardy weeds still grow albeit a little slower... Nope ... don't watch soccer... but see it advertised everywhere.. waiting for football but with all my old timey quarterbacks retired i've kinda lost interest in football too... Hugs! deb
ReplyDeletean off white muslin type cotton-could be regular white but I don't like white I am losing interest in football too-the players get way too much money too don't think I will watch much football this year-which is big for me as I used to love it gotten too political too
Delete