Good morning Saturday & Weekend
So nice to have a cool day, no bright sun and so far no humidity. We did get a bit of rain early this morning and last night. Happy first day of August!!
I have enjoyed seeing lots and lots of hummingbirds buzzing around the feeders I have out. I so enjoy them, and I still see orioles once in awhile too-they are mostly on the insect diet now.
I had a taste for some home baked cookies so I decided on peanut butter cookies. A childhood favorite I only use an all natural peanut butter not the ones like Skippy etc-after checking those ingredients years ago. Looking for a small batch recipe they said an all natural peanut butter would not work in most recipes-come out too crumbly and softer. so I found a recipe online using natural peanut butter, and then I also changed to gluten free flour, and no sugar options. These baked up pretty good-a softer cookie but not falling apart so happy with the results.
I was not in the mood for one of my slow stitch projects for some reason this morning, and then I remembered I had a rug hooking project waiting to get completed. I can't remember when I first started this-it has been many years for sure.
My Mom was a rug hooker back when I was growing up in the '50's and '60's. She made amazing items. Hooked seats for the formal dining room chairs (does anyone even have a formal dining room any more??), many rugs and also a long staircase with two landings with rugs to get to the bedrooms. My brother got most of her pieces-sigh
I wanted to make at least one hooked piece, as I had inherited her rug strip cutter and hooks. I had found another rug cutter at a garage sale-cheap they didn't know what they had, so at the time I bought different sizes of the discs for cutting. Mom's were totally worn out.
I had gotten frustrated with this project because I had put in too many loops so quite tight-hoping it will steam out a bit when finished. There is only the border to finish, and then decide how I want to use this piece. If it doesn't steam out flat will make into a pillow.
The wool is all from recycled wool-from 100% wool clothes found at consignment shops and garage sales. I remember going with Mom to Goodwill stores looking for 100% wool and then watching her dying all of her colors.
My Mom only hooked with very very narrow strips-now most seem to hook with 1/4" wide strips. I had cut these the 1/4"
Enjoy your day
.jpg)
.jpg)
The only rug hooking i have done is those little kits with the bundles of little pieces of yarn...lol i enjoyed it... But that was YEARS ago... We were cloudy and a had a few sprinkles today... nice break from the 100's... Going about 10 degrees cooler tonight then right back up again.. uuugh.. My Moss Rose that has done so well for me this Summer is being attacked by Mealy Bugs...!!! Not having much luck killing them... :(... Hugs! deb
ReplyDeleteI just fund this online for those bugs How to Mix and Apply a Dawn Soap Spray
DeleteMix safely: Combine about 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of Dawn dish soap with 1 quart (4 cups) of water in a spray bottle.
Spot test first: Spray a single leaf and wait 24 hours to make sure the soap mixture does not harm your specific plant.
Spray thoroughly: Cover all the stems, leaf joints, and undersides of the leaves where mealybugs hide.
Rinse off: Many gardeners suggest rinsing the soapy residue off with clean water after a few hours to protect the plant's foliage.
Hi Deb I have not tried that method of rug hooking-this one uses burlap or they make linen now too I think which will hold up longer. nice to get a break from the really days happy new week
Thanks for that Kathy... i had forgotten about dish soap .. i may just do that. .The first one i tried was Bayer brand... i always used this for my RoseBushes years ago and could always count on it for other bugs.. But i have never had such a case of MealyBugs before.. i mean they are on the side of the house too.. crazy.. Now i just bought 7Dust spray... they list several varieties of MealyBugs.. if that doesn't seem to be working by tomorrw i'm pulling out the Dish Soap... lol Hugs!deb
ReplyDeleteI did a hooked wall hanging from a kit back in the early 80s and really enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome Kathy-I was looking around on etsy to see what was out there-and saw kits-I have wool here that I had repurposed for wool clothing but I would want a printed design on burlap if I do another
DeleteEnjoy your cool day.
ReplyDeletethank you
DeleteThank goodness for a cool day! I love your project, dear friend. :)
ReplyDeletethank you
DeleteLooks like you found a new project to fill your cool day. I need to get back to my rug. I put it away as I was not feeling the good vibes I had when I first started it. Need to change some of the colors but dont want to right now. Loving the colors of rug thus far. Janice
ReplyDeleteGood morning Janice, thank you I never was good with the rug hooking-but want to get this one finished-hoping I have enough of one of the colors. Happy new week
DeleteI have wanted to learn how to hook rugs for a while now. Yours is coming along and it's gorgeous Kathy. What a great skill to have. I hope it stays cooler for you. We have heat coming in...and I'd rather it stay cool too. Happy new week. hugs-Erika
ReplyDeleteRug hooking is still popular I think-especially in on the east coast. It has gotten quite expensive though-at least on etsy it is. less expensive to search resale shops for 100% wool garments and then over dye with cushing dyes. a nice day today so far before it heats up-happy new week to you as well hugs
DeleteWhat a lovely project, dear Kathy.
ReplyDeleteIt is such a beautiful pattern... I hope you enjoy knotting it, and I hope you are still having somewhat cooler summer weather.
All the best and warmest regards, Viola
Good morning Viola, I am working on getting back into the hooking-this needs a finish-smile. we enjoyed the days of cooler weather but warming up again-august can be pretty hot. hugs
DeleteI've never done any rug hooking and doing it with 100% wool will give you something warm to walk on (bedside rug?). The pattern is lovely.
ReplyDeleteGreetings from Spain,
Lisca
Good morning Lisca, this is the only rug I have attempted so far-if will lie flat I will use it for a rug otherwise will make into a pillow. we are slowly making it back up to the high 90's F with humidity-typical weather here in the Ozarks area of Missouri.
Deleteso glad you stopped by-hugs
I've never done a rug -- well done and onward! Peanut butter cookies sound great!
ReplyDeleteGood morning thanks the cookies were a nice treat
DeleteKathy, You are much more into fabric arts than I have ever been, which actually is never so I appreciate those who can do these projects, like yourself.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much-hugs
DeleteRug hooking is nothing I have ever done. It is wonderful that you have projects that you can pick up and work on at a nice pace. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThank you I am not real good with rug hooking but I wanted to make at least one rug-My Mom made fabulous pieces
DeleteI love your rug. Just gorgeous. Wherever or whatever it ends up, I hope you will be able to see it everyday.
ReplyDelete