I finished up my scroll this morning. I am very happy with it.
I had some strips of the reproduction fabrics left over that were used in the scroll, so I used it for now to tie. I may stitch up the sides at one point.
I had purchased two of these awesome vintage bobbins on Etsy when I was setting up my scrolls to stitch.
I will come back with better photos-you know my camera is pretty awful I will share more photos soon-once I figure out the lighting
You may also remember the gifted bird that my friend surprised me with-I love it! I think it is perfect for this scroll too as I think it fits the time period-civil war era 1800's
Click photos to enlarge for better viewing
I really enjoyed slow stitching his project very much-and my America 250 scroll is ready to stitch next. Found it very relaxing-which I need these days (taking care of husband)
I moved my scroll to another location in the living room so I can enjoy seeing it. I changed up the ties for this too, which I like better. I tore a few strips so not as wide and then put several strips together, tied a knot on each end to hold the strips together. Loosely tied on the scroll to keep in place.
I am in love with the vintage textile bobbins I found to use for this project. These were a special find-I ended up buying a second one for the next scroll. I have a few wooden sewing thread bobbins ready to work out a design for as well.
I also wanted to share the fiber artist that has inspired me-I think I have shared her videos in the past.

Looks so great on that bobbin and the bird is wonderful! I've started stitcing on an old 'run around the house' pair of jeans with holes in the knees .. etc.. .I've enjoyed it.. Hubby laughs that i've stitched 'around' the holes in the knees instead of sewing them closed... lol I want to paint on them too...lol Hugs! deb
ReplyDeleteThank you Your jeans sound fun I used to have a pair of jeans that were almost totally covered with patches and embroidery-finally totally wore out but veryfun-hugs
DeleteVery nice!
ReplyDeleteThank you
DeleteThe vintage bobbin is a really a cool item, and your scroll looks great wrapped around it. What a successful project Kathy. I'm glad you shared it. hugs-Erika
ReplyDeleteThank you Erika, I did had one already that I have had for years, kept it around my weaving area. These that a found from a seller on etsy were so high quality at a good price too-many were over priced on etsy-when I got the first one had to buy one more of these-these are heavy, someone has kept them oiled too very nice This was a perfect project for me as I didn't have to think to much once I had the layout of fabrics in position--I will share photos of those soon
DeleteYour scroll looks wonderful and perfect for Autumn now. Janice
ReplyDeleteThank you We are still in the 100's with humidity so I have forgotten about autumn haha
DeleteThe scroll will be wonderful. I love the idea of the vintage bobbins, too.
ReplyDeleteGood morning Thank you
DeleteDear Kathy, the comment function is working again—I think it was a worldwide outage—
ReplyDeleteso I wanted to finally send you warm greetings.
Your work on this wonderful textile spool is magnificent; it is such a joy to have little treasures like this around you.
Thanks for the video.
A hug from Viola
Hugs back Viola- This morning I am working on stitching on the lining for your bag-hope to finish it within a week or so-will let you know when it is in the mail-hugs
DeleteI so agree-the scroll on the vintage spool makes me happy when I see it. I have it in a good spot now
Oh and I am happy you enjoyed the video I have learned a lot from-she shares a lot of techniques
DeleteI don't think I have ever seen anything quite like that. Very interesting!
ReplyDeleteHi Jim I learned about these scrolls for watching videos like the one I shared. It is calming and you end up with something nice and special I think. I will share photos of the stitches on the cloth soon
DeleteYour scrolls projects are perfect for keeping busy on the oh-so-hot days we have had for so long (hopefully, today will be the worst of it). I know I would unroll it and roll it back up many times just to admire all those wonderful stitches. I look forward to seeing how you laid out your pieces of cloth.
ReplyDeleteGood morning Mary-early-I am hoping the heat breaks today-we got rain and storms in last night and raining now as well-6:30am This was the perfect project for me right now-I will be admiring my stitches for sure and I loved the fabrics I used. Hoping you get some rain and cooler temps soon too hugs
DeleteI did the stitch rows across the short end instead of the long strip which I think most do--stitching each row the length seemed daunting to me. will decide how to stitch the next one. I was going to do a blanket stitch around all the edges I asked he artist i the video about that and she said she doesn't do that on hers but I can do what I want to-smiles-I should have known that would be her answer
DeleteOh what a pretty scroll! The beautiful bobbin just completes it!
ReplyDeleteThank you Debra-yes the bobbins I bought from the same seller were really nice-nicer than the one I already had. And your wonderful bird completed the scroll hugs
DeleteI thought I had commented but don’t see it. However, you know how drawn I am to slow stitching. I need to try it in spite of my hands. I will know if it’s too much for me. Beautiful and helpful meditative projects in your life. Your work is an inspiration!
ReplyDeleteThank you-I am thinking Barbara-hugs
DeleteThe scroll looks very nice Kathy, and congratulations to you for completing it.
ReplyDeletethank you so much
DeleteHi Kathy!!! You haven't posted for awhile... hope its just blogger...and that everything is alright with you.. Hugs! deb
ReplyDeleteHi Deb, it's been a rough week here we finally got a drop from those very high temps too which is good-my blog list still does not update so don't know when there is a new post up from friends thanks for dropping by
DeleteI think you just have to drop by your favorite blogs and see if they've posted... thats what i've been doing... However... i just tried to do that and when i do the entire screen is covered in gibberish... I sure hope the entire site has not just crashed... and when i wake up tomorrow all will be well... PS.. i just made a short post... Hugs! deb
DeleteI have been suspecting one day this site will totally crash too-but for now it connects with me people-hugs
Delete