I was thinking about putting a civil war era quilt together-probably this fall into winter. I don't want to get too many projects going at the same time-but I do want to make the most of my time creating while being husband's caregiver.
I have been making the slow stitch bags, and I did tear up lots of fabrics to make into a toothbrush rug-which I have not started yet. Or I had been painting so I have kept myself busy with arts and crafts.
So I asked the computer tonight about this and this is what AI says ( I have been asking the computer different questions lately and AI always answers.
- Utility and Warmth: Tied bedcovers were heavily utilized by pioneers on the prairie and in lumber camps to survive freezing nights.
- The "Tying" Process: Instead of sewing thousands of tiny, intricate quilting stitches, makers secured the top, batting, and backing by passing a needle and heavy thread or yarn through all three layers and tying the ends into square knots.
- Historical Trends: In the late 1800s, thick wool "comforters" often featured ties instead of stitched quilting. Additionally, elaborately designed "crazy quilts" from the Victorian era were frequently tied rather than quilted.
Fascinating, Kathy. Today, July 1st, is Canada 🇨🇦 Day and moving day.
ReplyDeleteI am glad I don't need to move, we are in a heat wave here in Montreal and it is extremely hot and humid. Please stay hydrated and safe.
Hugs.
Good morning-You stay safe as well-Hugs back
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your quilt making. I never learned how to quilt but do love them. The fireflies have been twinkling here at night for a bit now and I so love watching them. Too hot to do anything outside right now..so after going to the hospital will stitch. Janice
ReplyDeleteGood morning, I am so enjoying the fireflies too reminds me of fairies. Same here extreme heat and humidity-I did get out early to water my perennials this morning since we have not had rain in awhile-and of course lots of weeds need pulling out there-by the time I finished the watering too hot.
DeleteHow lovely, dear Kathy! We have those wonderful beetles too—the ones that glow in the evening and flit about the garden looking for a mate... in German they are called "Glühwürmchen" and in Norwegian "ildfluer." It is a truly beautiful time of year right now... I wish you lots of success and joy with your fabrics... I work with fabrics too, though not quite as much during the summer.
ReplyDeleteSending you a hug, Viola
Good morning Viola thank you for sharing about the fireflies. I am enjoying playing with fabrics again-keeps my mind busy for a bit--please contact me if you see this
DeleteDear Kathy, feel free to contact me at blogg@barwitzki.de; I rarely use email, but I will keep an eye out for a message from you.
DeleteWarm regards, Viola
Best wishes from me.
thank you
DeleteCould you imagine making a quilt back then? So much has changed in so many area. I never really considered quilts.
ReplyDeleteYes everything was hand sewn before the sewing machine. slow stitching is very popular now-something all hand stitched.
DeleteI have no desire to make any type of quilt, but admire people who do.
ReplyDeleteGood morning-that's ok we all have different interests hugs
DeleteI collect vintage quilts (and some not-so-vintage). But I've no talent for making one. It will be fun to follow yours.
ReplyDeletethat is awesome Jeanie I have one vintage quilt
DeleteInteresting projects and oh, lightening bugs! I saw them but twice in my life.
ReplyDeleteGood morning Iris-so glad you got to see the lightening bugs I always loved them
DeleteI haven't seen lightening bugs since i left Arkansas.... so pretty for you! I remember chasing lightening bugs as a kid up in PA and NJ... too dry here probably.. Never heard of tied quilts... my mother in law would probably know as she was a quilter but she's been gone for years now.. I always have to have several projects going so i can do whatever i'm in the mood for... ofcourse that does lead to some procrastination on my part...lol Hugs! deb
ReplyDelete