I decided a few days ago that instead of adding the left over patriotic fabrics to my fabric stash-why not just use it up for a simple quilt?
I decided to cut two simple blocks with the templates I had in my stash. I dug out that big tub of fabrics and just started cutting-a long rectangle and two squares to make a big block. Decided on making a full size which is a nice size for the couch.
I had been ironing all the fabrics and cutting for several days now. So I started to look at the fabrics this morning to begin setting up each of the blocks-Then I realized I messed up the math. I did not allow for the seam to sew the two squares together that will then be sewn to the rectangle Ugh so that makes the two sewn blocks 1/2 an inch smaller than the large rectangle.
I never was real good at math, and I guess not making a quilt for several years now this math just didn't occur to me at the time. To make up for the lost inches I may need to cut for another row of blocks. So this is super frustrating for sure.
Thinking I will just play around with the fabrics to assemble each block-which will take some time, sew all of the two squares together-press those seams-stitch to the large rectangle and trim off the extra fabric on the completed block. Then measure and decide if I need another row of blocks or not.
Have you been following the USA soccer team? It has been exciting to watch-they really messed up last night big time. The team did not seem mentally prepared for some reason for this game. Was a big let down to watch them play so poorly
Hoping it cools off enough today to get back to grass cutting with the humidity and rain it just keeps growing haha.
Enjoy your day
.jpg)
This was interesting-I have been reading your posts this morning and most won't publish my comments, but my friend in Canada-I could comment on hers google can be so frustrating--of course I just got a failed to publish comment for this one--will try back
ReplyDeleteI smiled at your maths fiasco. It is so recognizable. I look forward to seeing how you piece all the pieces together. Please show us.
ReplyDeleteHappy T-Day,
Lisca
thanks Lisca, Yes it will be ok in the end after sewing the three pieces together will need to trim off an 1/2" on one side Just frustrated that I didn't realize that-oh well haha
DeleteI will share, I needed a different project to mentally cope (home care of my husband)
DeleteI am not good in maths either, but I am sure that your quilt will be fabulous. Hugs, my friend.
ReplyDeletethank you Mia Yes it will be ok just aggravated I didn't think about that
DeleteI have no doubt you will come up with a beautiful solution to your quilting issue. I hope the appliance one has an easy answer, too.
ReplyDeleteall the appliances here are old so need to start replacing them all
DeleteI love the fabrics, Kathy! I am not good in math, either!
ReplyDeletethank you Linda
ReplyDeleteOh no Kathy on the washing machine. That did happen to me one time as well. Had to wring everything out, but at least when we called in a repairman it only cost us $52 to fix. As far as Math goes, the joke in my family was I was a Banker who could not add. LOL We had calculators for that at the bank. Hope your quilt works out well for you. Lovely colors. Janice
ReplyDeleteGood morning Janice wow that is pretty cheap for a fix. when I tried to get it to drain and spin it just made a grinding noise so something went out in it. at the woods house I had bought from Sears new and bought something to pay for repairs. here everything was pretty old already that is funny about you being banker and needing a calculator smiles. I think the quilt will work out ok just alot of trimming
DeleteI never really considered quilting and math, but it does make sense. Ugh to the washing machine, what a pain!
ReplyDeleteYes it was all the appliances are old-my friend drove me to Lowes which is about an hour's drive away-I would have gotten lost for sure--and I ended up buying everything-electric stove-wanted to replace with gas but too difficult now to do that-new frig which is going out, and new washer and dryer-everything was on sale so that savings paid for the taxes and haul aways
DeleteI'm not sure if i would have the patience for a quilt... i really don't have the patience for a crocheted afghan either but i do it ... just don't ask me to count stitches or anything... my afghans are just wonky and i'm okay with that.. they really reflect ME...lol My washing machine has been acting up too.. and its only 5 years old! Lately it seems really sensitive to the load being unbalanced.. so it takes me from 3-5 tries to get it right and believe me i'm pretty frustrated by the time i get it right!... That must have been such a big chore to empty that washer.....!!!! Hugs! deb
ReplyDeleteWhat is nice about quilts you can make it really simple with large blocks-I do not care for that tedious process of sewing tiny pieces together. I am not set up to quilt the layers together on my sewing machine-so I just knot the old fashioned way. much easier and faster for me
DeleteThe salesman told me the 5 year protection plan was their best deal as it pays for everything and if they can't fix it they replace the appli. with a new one. The big sale they had going on paid for the guarrantes and the haul away
It took me a long time to fill up buckets with a pan and toss it outdoors. probably a couple hours.
Will be nice to see the quilt when it is finished.
ReplyDeletethanks Christine
DeleteAh Kathy I certainly understand your frustration with the washer breaking. I just had to have warranty work on my 4 year old speed queen - the good thing was it still had warranty. Appliances these days are just not made to last. My heart feels for you friend...such a mess with heavy wet sheets and getting them to dry. We are finally getting a little relief from the heat. Had lots of rain which is making the garden grow & yes the grass too. Seems along with the good there is a little bits of challenges. Admire so much your patience and ability to quilt. My grandma used to quilt and she would do blocks too. Take care and don't over do in the heat. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteHi I think a lot of the nation is getting this extreme heat and humidity-we had a major wind storm come through again early this morning a bit scary as we have trees that need to be cut down. oh well hugs
DeleteI didn't want to spend the money on warranties but the salesman said with electronics these days you never know. so I bought 5 year and if they can't fix it they will replace it or give me my money back. Lowes had sales on all appliances so just went ahead and got everything I needed as the electric stove, frig, and washer and dryer are all old. they all come in on Tuesday My Mother made a lot of quilts all beautiful and she paid the Amish women to quilt them for her hugs
ReplyDeleteIt's not your fault at all...who would have thought that Larry had an accident and the washing machine gave up itself in the middle of work...my washing machine and dish washer are OLD..I am not going to replace them any time soon as long as they still work. Can't wait to see the finished quilt!
ReplyDeleteI agree thanks Angie, I was waiting for these to just die off but right now I need everything working.
ReplyDeleteI am hoping to start sewing the blocks soon